WCCC ECONOMIC INCENTIVE SCHEME 2023-2024 is intended to ensure that any incoming commercial retail, office or service use will respect and enhance the multifaceted character of the area and will allow and encourage a diversity of uses to increase its overall attractiveness for shopping, leisure and business purposes. There will be a strong presumption in favour of grant-aid for higher order comparison retail outlets including fashion outlets – both multiple and independent stores, ‘lifestyle stores’, flagship stores, niche and specialist retailers such as home furnishings, beauty products, jewellers and bookshops.
Waterford City & County Council is offering incentives to attract new retail and other businesses within the core retail area of the City Centre, towns and village centres of Waterford (as defined in the City and County Development Plans) in order to bring vibrancy and vitality to the city and town and village centres and to address vacancy in these areas. The Executive may, on a discretionary basis, provide support to businesses outside the city, town, village centres in exceptional cases. The decision of the Executive is discretionary and final.
Instructions for completing Application Form:
- Please ensure you have read the Waterford City & County Council Economic Incentive Scheme for Vacant Properties in Urban Areas 2023-2024.
- Please ensure that all required documents are submitted with your application form as failure to do so will delay the processing of your application form and may result in refusal of an application.
- If your business is located outside the city/town/village centre please ensure that you provide all necessary information required at Clause 10.1 of the Scheme indicated at 1. above.
Checklist of items to attach to application:
- Letter from the landlord (template here: LandlordLetterTemplate.docx (live.com) demonstrating that rent has not been increased over previous 5 years and that the current rent will be maintained over the period of the scheme.
- Proof of rent for last 5 years or proof of vacancy for same period completed by the landlord or letting agent
- Confirmation that the property has been vacant for at least one month from the landlord or letting agent
- Copy of lease if applicable
- Evidence of ownership if applicable
- Photograph of the unit
It is Waterford City & County Council’s policy to support economic growth within the city and county. The aim is to attract a variety of retail, service and office based businesses that will create opportunities for all citizens.
The following businesses would be considered for the scheme:
▪ Cosmetics / beauty products
▪ Specialist Health Food shops
▪ Shoe shops
▪ Toy shops
▪ Hi-tech / High-end electronics
▪ Music shops
▪ Specialist (hobby) shops
▪ Artisan / Craft Shops
▪ Fashion businesses and shops
▪ High end retail - globally scaled
▪ Shops offering a unique experience
▪ Amusement arcades/ bookmakers/ betting shops
▪ Catalogue shop
▪ Discount shop
▪ Fast food outlet/ cafe/ restaurant/ takeaway
▪ Mobile phone/ Internet shop
▪ Newsagents/ convenience store
▪ Off license
▪ Night club/ pub
▪ Head/ Grow Shop
▪ Adult shop
▪ Hair dresser/ Beauty salon/ nail bar/ tanning studio
* In exceptional circumstances and where an application is of a high standard which demonstrates economic benefit to the area and where it does not cause displacement to existing businesses, consideration will be given to applications from the businesses classified as ineligible above.