Closing date for applications extended until 31st December.
A Waterford City and County Council incentive to improve the facades of central urban buildings.
Waterford City & County Council is extending a support to assist in the improvement of visible facades (upper and lower floors) of buildings in notable areas of Waterford City Centre, Tramore Town Centre and Dungarvan Town Centre.
This scheme allows for up to 50% of the cost of improvement works (excl. VAT) to the exterior presentation of a building, including upper floors, for up to a maximum allocation of €2,000.
Properties with addresses listed on the map to the right will be prioritised for this grant should they apply and be approved. Properties in notable areas of Dungarvan town centre and Tramore town centre will also be prioritised.
This is a pilot scheme designed to create the maximum impact in notable central urban areas.
How it works?
- Fill out the application form, submit two quotes for the estimated costs, a description of the planned works and pictures of the property.
- If your application is approved you will be notified the amount you have been approved for and a deadline of 6 months to complete the works.
- Return the Supplier Set Up Form by post. This form is our way of paying out to you once the works are completed. A hard copy must be sent. You will be sent this when approved.
- Once the works are complete, submit your invoices and a picture of the completed works. You will be allowed 50% of the costs of works (excl. VAT) up to the amount you were allocated when approved.
Q: When filling out the supplier set up form whose details do I fill in? The person doing the works or my own?
A: Please fill in your own details on this form. This grant is to reimburse you for a portion of the costs, not to pay for them directly.
Q: How is the reimbursement calculated?
A: If, for example, you are approved for the maximum amount, €2,000, and spend €5,000 (excluding VAT) you will receive €2,000.
Q: What happens if I can't complete the works within the 6 month deadline?
A: If you can't complete the works within the 6 month deadline and you can't provide proof of planned works within 30 days of the deadline passing, the grant will be rescinded and allocated to someone else.
Q: Why have I been been unsuccessful in receiving the grant?
A: This grant is allocated on a first-come, first-served basis (provided the property is deemed in need of works). If you have been unsuccessful it either means your property is in better condition than the other applicants or funding has been fully allocated. If other applicants do not complete their works within the deadline funding may become available and allocated onto you.
Eligible works under the scheme include:
- In order to encourage best practice approaches to shop front maintenance and presentation, applications should be in line with the criteria outlined in the following documents:
- Repair and reinstatement of all or any part of a building fixture that is visible from the street, including the first and upper floors of premises.
- Reinstatement of architectural or historic features that have formed part of the building’s design and character.
- Repainting of buildings. Colour schemes should co-ordinate with adjoining buildings and upper floors of buildings should be painted to blend in appropriately with ground floors.
- Repair and reinstatement of guttering and down-pipes (to match historic materials where appropriate).
- Repainting and/ or re-rendering of prominent elevations.
- Repair of external stonework and brickwork and replacement of stonework or brickwork which forms part of the stall riser of the shop front.
- Removal of neon signs, banner or other inappropriate signage affixed to front elevations (or side elevations visible from the street) and replacement with signage in line with Waterford City & County Council standards.
- Permanent removal of external security shutters and installation of suitable replacements.
- The removal of redundant wiring, alarm boxes and utilities on premises is encouraged.
- Works to the side or rear of a building will only be funded if they are clearly visible from the street and if they are associated with an overall project which includes improvements to the front façade of the same building.
• Retrospective applications i.e. work already completed or underway more than 30 days before receipt of application (subject to approval).
• Structural repairs including re-roofing.
• Internal repairs and alterations.
• External security features, such as CCTV Systems.
• Any work which is not in accordance with Planning Legislation, ACA Guidelines or protected Structure Guidelines.
• Statutory fees • Architect / consultant fees • Professional fees (e.g. solicitor / surveyor) • Insurances
Applicants currently in receipt of the Rates Incentive Scheme or Economic Incentive Scheme will not be eligible to apply for funding under this scheme.
For more queries on the scheme, please contact:
Waterford City & County Council